Several events to close this week or start next week have been postponed or canceled, in anticipation of Hurricane Irma’s approach in the Southeast.
More updates are expected as the weekend progresses, however here’s a rundown of some major events affected by coordinators’ planning ahead of the storm and thinking safety first.
▪ “Purple Feet Festival” – for Special Kids Sponsor Foundation – at Silver Coast Winery, 6680 Barbeque Road, Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., postponed from Saturday to noon-5 p.m. Nov. 5, with The Imitations in concert. Tickets for ages 12 and older: $ 8, and $ 5 with donation of new recreational item such as playing cards, board game, book or ball; and free ages 11 and younger, and for Lucy look-alikes (for contest that day.). 910-287-2800 or www.silvercoastwinery.com.
▪ 16th annual “Local Heroes’ Benefit” daylong concert at Dead Dog Saloon, 4079 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, in Marsh Walk, in remembrance of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, and sixth annual golf tournament, at Wacheshaw Plantation East – all benefiting local police, firefighters and first responders – postponed from Sunday to Nov. 11. 843-651-0664 or www.deaddogsaloon.com. (Golf tourney reservations at 843-902-7216 or 843-503-0918.)
▪ “It’s A Grand Night for Trivia” – for Carolina Master Chorale, ahead of its 35th season – for Sunday, at Prestwick Country Club, between Myrtle Beach and Surfside Beach, postponed to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 8. $ 30 individual or $ 165 team of six. 843-444-5774 or www.carolinamasterchorale.com.)
▪ Indoor yard sale at Trinity Presbyterian Church, 2061 Glenns Bay Road, west of Surfside Beach, postponed from Sept. 15-16 to 7:30 a.m-1 p.m. Oct. 6-7. 843-294-1754.
▪ Rivertown Bluegrass Society monthly concert for Saturday canceled, with next concert set for 5 p.m. Oct. 14, with Charlottetowne Collective and Radio Flyer Bluegrass Band, at Horry-Georgetown Technical College’s Burroughs & Chapin Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway. $ 12 for ages 12 and older, otherwise free. (Other scheduled lineups through year’s end are Jonah Riddle and Carolina Express and End of the Road Bluegrass Band on Nov. 11, and the King James 1611 Boys and Crystal River on Dec. 9.) 843-457-2854 or www.rivertownbluegrasssociety.com.
▪ Annual “9/11 Memorial Ceremony,” by Coastal Carolina Shields, an organization of retired law enforcement personnel, 11 a.m. Monday at Simply Southern Restaurant, 1301 Mr. Joe White Ave., Myrtle Beach, canceled. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Fifth annual “9/11 Memorial Ride” – for Horry County Firefighters Relief Fund – noon Monday from Myrtle Beach Harley-Davidson, 4710 S. Kings Highway, just south of Myrtle Beach, is canceled. 843-369-5555 or www.myrtlebeachharley.com.
▪ Annual “9/11 Remembrance Ceremony,” 7 p.m. Monday at Unity Memorial, at Broadway at the Beach, along 29th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach, between U.S. 17 and Robert M. Grissom Parkway, near Ripley’s Aquarium. 843-448-2019.
▪ At Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum, in Mount Pleasant: cancellations of “9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit” for this weekend, and preview screening of Ken Burns and Lynn Novick mini-series “The Vietnam War” for Sept. 13. 843-884-2727 or www.patriotspoint.org.