AUSTIN, TX — For a lot of us, looking ahead to the weekend and planning some fun and relaxation is our week’s highlight. And if you’re lucky enough to live in or around Austin, you know there’s never a shortage of cool and interesting things to try or explore. Here’s a guide to help you get some great ideas for your weekend enjoyment.
- ESB-MACC 10th Anniversary: The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center will host its 10th anniversary with a FREE 2-day family-friendly event Celebrating the Past, Illuminating the Future. The exhibit Caricatura: Obra y Vida (Caricature: Works & Life) by Raul Valdez will be displayed at the Sam B. Coronado Gallery with event beginning at 6 PM on Friday, Sept. 15. ESB-MACC will also host an open house and family activities event on Saturday, Sept. 16 from 4-6 PM and a grand opening performance on the plaza at 6 PM. 600 River Street, Austin, TX 78701
- The Fate of the Furious – Community Cinema at CF Village: Bring your friends and family along with lawn chairs and a blanket to enjoy a FREE movie night Friday, Sept. 15 at Community First! Village amphitheater. Come early to grab a spot and bring along your favorite movie snacks or enjoy goodies available for purchase (cash only) at the concession stand. Event begins at 7 PM and movie begins at sundown. 9301 Hog Eye Road, Austin, TX 78724
- Drag Attack! September 2017 Episode: Sellers Underground will host Austin International Drag Foundation, Inc.’s FREE event Drag Attack! Held every 3rd Friday beginning at 10 PM, the popular and hilariously fun show gives you and your friends an opportunity to team up with a celebrity Drag mentor, get your very own Drag makeover, and participate in an epic lip sync battle for a $ 100 cash prize! 213 West 4th Street, Austin, TX 78701
Saturday & Sunday:
- Strut Your Mutt: This year’s Strut Your Mutt will raise funds to benefit groups and pets affected by Hurricane Harvey. The FREE festival will take place Saturday, Sept. 16 from 8 AM – 5 PM with registration for the walk to begin at 8 AM (registration fee required), walk beginning at 9 AM, and festival ending at 12 PM. Adoptions will be held through 5 PM on event day. Come on out to support a great cause! Walter E. Long Park, 6620 Blue Bluff Rd, Austin, TX 78724
- Fit Kids Fest: Looking for some fun the whole family can enjoy? The Long Center will host its 1st ever Fit Kids Fest, a FREE community and family-friendly event to be held Saturday, Sept. 16 from 9 AM – 1 PM on the City Terrace. Families will enjoy activities focused on promoting active children and healthy eating habits and will also feature music, kids yoga, rock wall climbing, trampolines, an inflatable obstacle course, cooking demonstrations and tastings, and much more! Food will be available for purchase on-site (parents of children 5/under are welcome to bring food and beverages for their kids). $ 8 event parking will be available at the Palmer Events Center Garage. 701 West Riverside, Austin, TX 78704
- Central Texas Harley Davidson’s Fall Freedom Fest: Harley enthusiasts rejoice! On Saturday, Sept. 16 from noon to 6 PM, Central Texas Harley Davidson will host its FREE Fall Freedom Fest. Activities for the entire family will include face painting, slow bike rides, music, food & drinks, and more! 2801 N. Interstate 35, Round Rock, TX 78664
- Texas Farmers’ Market at Mueller: Recognized as Austin’s favorite farmers’ market 3 years running by the Austin Chronicle, this FREE family-friendly (and pet friendly) event is held every Sunday from 10 AM – 2 PM. Offering free community composting and kids events, attendees will enjoy the freshest vegetables and artisan foods from local vendors and farmers. Bring the whole family and enjoy a great day! Browning Hangar, 4209 Airport Blvd., Austin, TX 78722
- Austin Flea: Radio, Coffee & Beer: Looking for anything one-of-a-kind, uniquely Austin, handmade, vintage, and local? You’ll find it at the FREE Austin Flea to be held at Radio, Coffee & Beer on Sunday, Sept. 17 from 10 AM – 4 PM. Since 2009, the Austin Flea has been showcasing the talent of Austin’s most creative and talented…come check it out yourself and support local artists and vendors! 4204 Manchaca, Austin, TX 78704
- Fall Concert In The Park: Hosted by the Austin Symphonic Band, the FREE Fall Concert in the Park will be held at Zilker Park on Sunday, Sept. 17 at 7 PM. Attendees are encouraged to bring a picnic, lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy a relaxing evening of music under the Texas sky. The band will play selections from Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story among others. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2206 William Barton Drive, Austin, TX 78704
Thanks for your feedback! Now share it with your friends!
Thanks for your feedback.<!–
Originally published September 14, 2017.