Are you interested in cruising Michigan in your motorcycle but fear that the cost of ownership is too high? First, know that it’s possible to secure motorcycle insurance in Michigan at a reasonable price. The average rate for motorcycle insurance in Michigan is $760 per year.
Find the Best Cheap Motorcycle Insurance
Tip: Get Quotes from 2 or 3 companies to Find the Best Rates
Quick Look – Best Motorcycle Insurance in Michigan
Michigan Motorcycle Insurance Overview
Second, it’s important to know how to protect yourself and get the coverage you need. You’re required to meet these Michigan motorcycle insurance requirements:
- $20,000 coverage for bodily injury or death involving 1 person in a single accident: Starting July 2, 2020, the minimum requirement increases to $50,000.
- $40,000 coverage for bodily injury or death involving more than 1 person in a single accident: Beginning July 2020, the minimum requirement increases to $100,000.
- $10,000 coverage for property damage in a single accident
Michigan Motorcycle Insurance Law Explained
Michigan is a no-fault motor vehicle policy state, which means that if you’re involved in an accident, it doesn’t matter who is at fault. You file a claim with your own insurance company. Motorcycles are not included under the no-fault law and you do not need to purchase a no-fault policy. Instead, you must buy minimal liability coverage. Minimal liability coverage protects you against liability for property damage, bodily injury or death suffered by another by a motorcycle, according to the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS).
Under 21 years old? You must wear a helmet, according to Michigan law. You’ll pay more for the wind in your hair if you’re 21 or older and choose not to wear a helmet. You’ll be required to carry at least $20,000 in medical benefits coverage.
Frequently take others on bike rides? You must carry medical coverage for any passengers or those passengers must carry medical benefits.
Michigan Motorcycle Traffic Laws You Should Know
You’re required to follow the enforced Michigan traffic laws, but here are a few motorcycle-specific laws:
- Motorcycles are allowed to occupy the entire lane. Riders may choose to ride side by side, but not more than 2 motorcyclists may do so.
- Motorcycles with small engines (less than 125 ccs) may not ride on freeways or limited-access highways.
- Riders must wear goggles, a face shield or a windshield when riding at speeds more than 35 mph.
- In place of an electric signal device, a motorcyclist may use his hand and arm to signal turns and stops.
Michigan Motorcycle Insurance Rate Factors
Many types of motorcycles zip around Michigan. The most popular motorcycle brands in the U.S. include Harley-Davidson, Polaris, Ducati, BMW, Honda and Yamaha. The type of bike you have influences insurance rates and a few other factors do, too:
- Age, driving record and where you live: As with auto insurance, rates are higher when you’re younger. Maintain a clean driving record to help keep costs low. Living and riding in rural areas cost less, and in urban areas, it costs more.
- Type of motorcycle you ride: Your insurance costs will be higher if your bike is sporty or expensive.
- Age of your motorcycle: The replacement cost is higher for newer motorcycles. Motorcycles that have aged a few years will cost less to insure but this logic gets thrown to the shoulder if you insure a vintage bike.
- Number of miles you ride yearly: Plan to spend less on insurance if you’re a weekend rider. Is your motorcycle your primary mode of transportation? Plan to spend more.
- Motorcycle storage: Your motorcycle is more prone to damage and theft if you park outdoors, so expect a higher rate. Your bike is more protected if you park in a garage.
- Mature rider discounts: Age is hardly something that you can control, but if you’re a mature rider, use it to your advantage!
- Safety/training course discount: This can be especially helpful to younger riders or riders with blemished records.
- Organization discounts: Joining a club or riding group may help you lower costs (and you’ll meet people who share your passion, too!)
- Lay-up policies: Michigan is a 4-season state. Storing your motorcycle during inclement weather months may lower your rates.
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
|Company||Discounts Offered||Overall Rating|
|AAA||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|Allstate||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Safety course||5.0|
|American Modern||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Safety course||4.0|
|Ameriprise||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Claims-free, Smart rider, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|Amica||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft||4.0|
|Auto-Owners||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|Farmers||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake||4.3|
|Foremost||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|GEICO||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Rider experience, Anti-theft, Safety course||5.0|
|Harley Davidson Insurance||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-theft, Safety course, Motorcycle license||3.7|
|Liberty Mutual||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|Markel||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|MetLife||Multiple bike, Claims-free, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|National General||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free||4.7|
|Nationwide||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake, Safety course||4.7|
|Progressive||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-lock brake, Safety course, Motorcycle license||4.3|
|Rider Insurance||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Military, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Smart rider, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course, Motorcycle license||3.0|
|Safeco||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.3|
|State Farm||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|USAA||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Military, Claims-free, Safety course||5.0|
Best Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Michigan
Benzinga analyzed dozens of insurance policies to determine ratings. Here are our 4 Best Michigan Motorcycle Insurance picks.
1. Allstate: Best Overall
Allstate is the best overall motorcycle insurance in Michigan. Allstate is more expensive than GEICO (about $140 per year), but its coverage and discounts bolster its rating.
Coverage features include personal injury protection, roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and OEM parts. Discount extras include policy transfer, riding group, claims-free and rider experience offers.
2. GEICO: Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance in Michigan
GEICO, at $357.80 per year, is the cheapest motorcycle insurance available in Michigan. GEICO sets itself apart because it offers comparable coverage at more than $100 less per year than price.
GEICO includes personal injury protection, total loss replacement and helmet coverage and many other providers close in price do not. GEICO sets itself apart with discounts offered by 50% of Michigan providers. These discounts include helmet usage, loyalty, rider experience and anti-theft.
3. Harley Davidson: Best Customer Service
Owning a motorcycle is a big deal and insuring it comes with trusting a company to have your back if an accident ever happens. Harley Davidson’s insurance provides outstanding customer service and personalized experience for every customer. They offer a ton of discounts and their claims process is highly rated.
Their prices may seem higher than average but you will be covered for everything in the event of a loss. This also comes with perks like Harley Davidson genuine motor parts and accident forgiveness.
4. USAA: Best for Military Personnel
USAA is the best motorcycle insurance for military personnel.
USAA serves active duty, guard and reserve, veterans, cadets and midshipmen and their families.
Benzinga maxed out USAA’s rating at 5 stars (which factors in price, availability and offerings) and J.D. Power offers USAA an “among the best” designation.
USAA is the only provider solely focused on military personnel and their families.
Get Your Motor Running
Born to be wild? Like the feel of the breeze as you cruise down the open road? Whatever the reason, decide which factors are most important to you when you choose motorcycle insurance and you’ll pick the insurance provider that best suits your needs.
If you are interested in insurance in Michigan check out our article on Best Car Insurance for the leading companies and bundle your car and motorcycle for an even better deal.
*Metrics used for quote: 2017 Harley Davidson FLHTK, 35-year-old male, discounts applied. Policies reflect state minimum coverage options. We make every effort to provide the most accurate quotes based on the profile above. Due to the many combined variables involved in insurance quotes, the only way to get an accurate quote is to enter your own information through our partners’ secure websites.